My last Christmas pattern for this year is the Tunisian Christmas Tree Cup cozy. By now you must know that I love making these little cozies and I had to make a specifically Christmas one. I loved the idea of a candy cane theme and Christmas Tree and so I decided to combine these ideas in to one cozy.
The background of this cozy is made to reflect the traditional candy cane. I used the Tunisian reverse stitch and striped it in which and red. I initially made this in the round, however, without having a ton of ends, switching colours looks clumsy and didn’t really work at the join. In the end it worked better making it flat and sewing it together. The cozy being made up of the reverse stitch automatically prevents any curling to the fabric.
Due to the high contrast of the background, I decided to keep the tree simple. Just a green triangular shape and a brown trunk. This tree has literally just been selected from the forest and doesn’t actually need any additional decorations to stand out. It does that perfectly against the candy cane stripped background.
Like all the other cup cozies, it fits perfectly around both reusable cups and disposable ones in a coffee shop. It only takes a couple of hours to make and uses very little cotton to do so. The perfect stash busterand gift idea for any coffee lover this Christmas. You can get the free pattern below.
Next week sees the start of my mermaid winter wear patterns, so be sure to check that out for any mermaid loving children in your life.
See you next week,
Christmas Tree Cup Cozy
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make this cozy
- 4ply cotton (I used King Cole Giza) in the following;
- Red – around 15-20m
- White– around 15-20m
- Small amount of green and brown for the tree
- 3.5mm double ended crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
2. Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this pattern. All terms used are American.
- Ch- chain
- TSS – Tunisian simple stitch
- TRS – Tunisian reverse stitch
- TKS – Tunisian knit stitch
- RP – return pass, always yarn over and pull through 2 loops all the way around.
- sl st – slip stitch
- dec – insert hook through 1st loop, then through second loops knit wise, yo and pull through both loops
- 3 TKS tog – Insert hook through next 2 loops, then through the 3rd loops knitwise, yo and pull through all 3 loops
- m/c – magic circle
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- The gauge for this pattern is 12 rows and 12 stitches of Tunisian reverse stitch in a 5cm square.
- The finished tree cozy is 7cm tall and 12 cm wide (24cm all the way around.)
- The cozy is worked flat and then sewn together
- You can carry the red and white yarn up the side rather than keep cutting and having to sew in the ends.
Tree cozy– start in red
|2||Sk ch and TSS across||59|
|Change to white,|
|3||TRS across, RP||59|
|Change to red,|
|4||TRS across, RP||59|
|5-16||Rep rows 3-4||59|
|17||Sc cast off in red leaving a long tail to sew together|
Tree – make1 in green
|1||Ch 9, TSS across, RP||9|
|2||TKS across, RP||9|
|3||Dec, 3 TKS, dec, TSS, RP||7|
|4||Dec, TKS, dec, TSS, RP||5|
|7||3 TKS tog, TSS, RP||3|
|8||3 TKS tog, and sl st to finish off||1|
|Leave a long tail to sew to the cozy|
Tree trunk – make1 in brown
|1||Ch 3, TSS across, RP||3|
|2-3||TKS across, RP||3|
|4||Sl st cast off||3|
|Leave a long tail to sew to cozy|
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.