Last week I shared part 3 of the Tunisian Cable series, the cable scarf. This week I am sharing the final winter wear pattern, the Tunisian Cable headband.
The cable headband features a single cable, placed centrally, and running across the length of the headband. The finished headband measures 55cm long and 10cm wide, plenty wide enough to keep your ears warm this winter. The pattern also comes with notes to adjust the length of the headband if you have a slightly different sized head, although the headband itself does have some stretch.
The pattern will only take an hour or so to make, depending on your crocheting speed, and would be great for craft fairs or Christmas gifts. You can get the Free pattern below, without the cable tutorial, however, there is a the pdf printer friendly and ad free version available to purchase through my Etsy store here, which contains a detailed picture tutorial on the cables, and hopefully before the cable series is up I will be able to get a video live on working Tunisian cables.
Join me next week for the final part of the series, and my favourite piece in the collection, the Tunisian Cable barrel bag.
Tunisian Cable Headband (adult sized)
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make this headband;
- Chunky Yarn (or 2 strands of aran held together if you want to have a varied colour effect) 60m (65g when using Aldi rainbow cakes – I used a purple cake)
- 8mm double ended Tunisian hook
- Additional hook (as close to 8mm as possible, and it is easier if it has no end)
- Stitch marker
- Tapestry needle
2. Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this pattern. All terms used are American.
- Ch- chain
- TSS – Tunisian simple stitch
- TPS – Tunisian purl stitch
- TKS – Tunisian Knit Stitch
- RP – return pass, always yarn over and pull through 1 loop then yarn over and pull 2 loops to the end of the row
- 6 cable – this is where the cable crosses, see photo tutorial
- sl st – slip stitch
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- The gauge for this pattern is 12 rows and 10 stitches in a 10cm square of Tunisian purl stitch using an 8mm hook.
- The finished headband measures 55cm around and 10cm wide although has a lot of stretch in it so should fit most sized heads.
- Varying the thickness of the yarn used and hook size will slightly alter the size, this may also alter the amount of yarn required.
- Make sure when carrying the yarn both ways on the cables to keep the yarn loose so the cables don’t become too tight. See cable instructions for more information.
|1||TSS across, RP||12|
|2||2 TPS, 6 TKS, 2 TPS, TSS, RP||12|
|3-4||Rep row 2||12|
|5||2 TPS, 6 Cable, 2 TPS, TSS, RP||12|
|6-53||rep rows 2-5||12|
|54||sl st cast off as row 2||12|
|55||Sl st both sides of the headband together using the ladder join (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u0JQckUVZc)|
- Sew in ends.
- If you want to make the headband longer or shorter, either add or remove a repeat of rows 2-5.
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.