Sally the Seal Crochet Pattern
You can find the video tutorial for Sally at the bottom of this pattern.
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make Sally
- Paintbox Simply Aran Yarn (although any aran/worsted weight will work) – 100g balls in the following colours
- Misty Grey (203)
- Slate Grey (205)
- 2 x 10mm black safety eyes (or you can sew them on in black)
- 3 mm hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this series of patterns. All terms used are American.
- Sl st – slip stitch
- Sc – single crochet
- Sc inc – single crochet increase
- Sc dec – single crochet decrease – I use the invisible decrease method
- Ch – chain
- Dc – double crochet
- Trc – treble crochet
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- There is no specific gauge for Sally, however the tighter you crochet the fewer gaps will be available when stuffing. My finished Sally is 7” long and 5” wide (including flippers)
- All these patterns are worked in continuous rounds, do not sl st at the end of each round. A stitch marker is essential for keeping track of the start of your rows.
- The neck is shaped using short row shaping where short rows are worked by turning the work rather than completing each round.
Body – in Misty Grey
|1||6 sc in magic circle||6|
|2||(sc inc) x 6||12|
|3||(sc, sc inc) x 6||18|
|5||Sc, (sc inc) x 3, 14 sc||21|
|8||Sc, (sc dec) x 3, 14 sc||18|
|10||( sc, sc dec) x 6||12|
|Add eyes between rows 4-5 either side of the ridge created by the (sc inc)x 3
Sew nose between rows 6&7 and mouth just below
|12||Short row shaping –|
|4 sc, sl st, turn|
|4 sc, sl st, turn|
|Sc in sl st, 4 sc, sc in sl st, sl st, turn|
|Sc in sl st, 5 sc, sc in sl st, sl st, turn|
|Sc in sl st, 6 sc, Sc in sl st and sc around until you get to the next sl st, sc in this stitch as well – this is now the start of the new row|
|13||Sc around (1 stitch is on side of short rows)||12|
|14||(sc, sc inc) x 6||18|
|16||(2 sc, sc inc) x 6||24|
|18||(3 sc, sc inc) x 6||30|
|25||(3 sc, sc dec) x 6||24|
|28||(2 sc, sc dec) x 6||18|
|31||(sc, sc dec) x 6||12|
|32||(sc dec) x 6||6|
|Fold in half and sew shut|
Tail – Make 2 in Misty Grey
|1||ch 4, skip 1st ch and sc down rest of chain, turn||3|
|2||Sc across, turn||3|
|3||Ch 6, skip first chain and then down the rest of the chain, dc, dc, trc, trc, trc, sl st in middle sc on row 2||5|
|4||Ch 6, skip first chain and then down the rest of the chain, dc, dc, trc, trc, trc, sl st in last sc on row 2, cast off||5|
|Holding 2 pieces sc together around the edge of tail then sew to seal.|
Flippers – Make 4 in Misty Grey
|1||Ch 9, skip first ch, and 7 sc down ch and 3 sc in end ch, then working up the other side, 7 sc and sc in skipped stitch, sl st and cast off||18|
|2||Match 2 flippers and sc together around the outside, sl st, cast off||18|
|Sew flippers either side of seal at the front|
Sew a few spots randomly on the seal in Slate Grey.
Sew a few stitches in misty grey holding neck to the body to keep it more upright and balance the animal when sitting.
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.