Roxy the Rockhopper Penguin Crochet Pattern
You can Find the video tutorial for Roxy at the bottom of this pattern.
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make Roxy
- Paintbox Simply Aran Yarn (although any aran/worsted weight will work) – 100g balls in the following colours
- Pure Black (201)
- Champagne White (202)
- Blood Orange (219)
- Buttercup Yellow (222)
- Bubblegum Pink (250)
- 2 x 10mm Red safety eyes (or you can sew them on in black)
- 3 mm hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this series of patterns. All terms used are American.
- Sl st – slip stitch
- Sc – single crochet
- Sc inc – single crochet increase
- Sc dec – single crochet decrease – I use the invisible decrease method
- Ch – chain
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- There is no specific gauge for Roxy, however the tighter you crochet the fewer gaps will be available when stuffing. My finished Roxy is 5” Tall and 3” wide.
- To make the colour change look better without carrying yarn through stitches the body of the penguin is made in rows turning as you go, this will leave an opening which will be closed when the tummy section is finished.
- When changing colour, change on the final yarn over of the previous stitch.
- All these patterns are worked in continuous rounds, do not sl st at the end of each round. A stitch marker is essential for keeping track of the start of your rows.
- Roxy is made from the bottom up.
- The feet, wings and beak are all attached as you go and will need to be made first.
- To join feet, wings and beak as you go, fold in half (beak only) and line it up with the edge of the body you are working on. Then you need to sc through all of the wing/beak/foot and through the body using the number of stitches stated in the pattern.
Feet – Make 2 in Pink holding 2 strands together
|1||Make a magic circle and work 2 sc, ch3, sc, ch3, sc, ch3, 2sc and sl st to form a ring.||6 sc and 3 ch3|
|Cast off and tie both ends togther|
Wings – make 2 in white and 2 in black
|1||Ch 9 and skip stitch closest to hook, then work 7 sc down the ch, 5 sc in final ch
Working up the opposite side, 7 sc and sc in ch skipped at the beginning
|20 sc all the way round|
|2||Holding a white and a black wing together using black sc both pieces together. Sl st to finish and cast off||20 sc|
Beak – in orange
|1||4 sc in magic circle||4|
|Sl st and cast off|
Body – in black
|1||6 sc in magic circle||6|
|2||(sc inc) x 6||12|
|3||(sc inc) x 6, 6 sc||18|
|4||3sc, (sc inc) x 4, 6 sc, sc inc, sc, sc inc, 2 sc||24|
|5||4 sc, (sc inc) x 3, 8 sc, attach foot with 2 sc, 2 sc, attach foot with 2 sc, 3 sc||27|
|6||16 sc and switch to white, 10 sc, DO NOT JOIN or CH 1, turn (leave last stitch unworked)||16 Black
|7||10 sc in White, 17 sc in black, turn||27|
|8||17sc in black ,10 sc in white, turn||27|
|9||10 sc in white, 6 sc, (sc dec) x 3, 5 sc in black, turn||24|
|10||14 sc in black, 10 sc in white, turn||24|
|11||10 sc in white, 14 sc in black, turn||24|
|12||14 sc in black, 10 sc in white, turn||24|
|13-16||Repeat rows 11-12 twice||24|
|17||10 sc in white, 14 sc in black, turn||24|
|18||Sc, attach wing with 3 sc, 6 sc, attach wing with 3 sc, sc in black, 10 sc in white, turn||24|
|19-20||Repeat rows 11 and 12 once||24|
|21||(2 sc, sc dec) x 2, 2 sc in white, sc dec. (2sc, sc dec) x 3 in black, turn||18|
|22||(sc, sc dec) x 3, sc in black, (sc dec, sc) x 2, sc dec in white, (cut black at end of this row and secure end)||12|
|Turn penguin inside out and using the white sc the opening together, sl st and cast off with white|
|Turn penguin right way out and stuff|
Head – continuing straight on from body in black (where yarn already is)
|24||(sc, sc inc) x 6||18|
|25||(2 sc, sc inc) x 6||24|
|26||3 sc, (sc inc) x 3, 18 sc||27|
|27||5 sc, attach beak with 2 sc, 20 sc||27|
|28||3 sc, (sc dec) x 3, 18 sc||24|
|30||(2 sc, sc dec) x 6||18|
|Insert safety eyes 3 stitches either side and 1 row above the beak
Stuff penguin head
|31||(sc, sc, dec) x 6||12|
|32||(sc dec) x 6||6|
|Sew shut and sew in ends|
To make the feathers, cut 20 5” pieces of yellow yarn and fold in half and attach either side of the eyes over 2 rows. Use 6 pieces above the eye and 4 pieces behind the eye. Trim the yarn to get the effect you want.
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.