Penny the Polar Bear
You can find the Video tutorial for Penny at the bottom of this pattern.
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make Penny
- Paintbox Simply Aran Yarn (although any aran/worsted weight will work) – 100g balls in the following colours
- Champagne White (202)
- Misty Grey (203)
- Slate Grey (205)
- Granite Grey (206)
- 2 x 10mm black safety eyes (or you can sew them on in black)
- 3 mm hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this series of patterns. All terms used are American.
- Sl st – slip stitch
- Sc – single crochet
- Sc inc – single crochet increase
- Sc dec – single crochet decrease – I use the invisible decrease method
- Ch – chain
- b/l – back loops
- trc – treble crochet
- Popcorn stitch – 5 trc together, then ch 1 (*yarn over twice, insert hook in stitch, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, leave remaining loops on the hook.* Repeat from * to * 4 more times into the same stitch, then yarn over pull through all remaining loops on hook, then chain 1)
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- There is no specific gauge for Penny, however the tighter you crochet the fewer gaps will be available when stuffing. My finished Penny is 6” long and 5” wide
- All these patterns are worked in continuous rounds, do not sl st at the end of each round. A stitch marker is essential for keeping track of the start of your rows.
- Penny’s legs are made first and then joined as you go through the pattern.
- To join legs as you go, fold the leg in half and line it up with the edge of the body you are working on. Then you need to sc through both sides of the leg and through the body using the number of stitches stated in the pattern.
Legs – Make 4 in white
|1||6 sc in magic circle||6|
|2||(sc inc) x 6||12|
|3||Sc around in b/l||12|
|11||(sc, sc dec) x 4||8|
|Sl st and cast off, stuff legs|
Head – starting in Granite Grey
|1||6 sc in magic circle||6|
|2||(sc inc) x 6 in slate grey||12|
|3||(sc, sc inc) x 6 in misty grey||18|
|4||(2 sc, sc inc) x 6 in white||24|
|11||7 sc, popcorn, 7 sc, popcorn, 8 sc (popcorns create ears)||24|
|13||( 2 sc, sc dec) x 6||18|
|Add eyes 1 row in front of each ear then stuff the head|
|15||(2 sc, sc inc) x 6||24|
|16||(3 sc, sc inc) x 6||30|
|18||Sc, attach leg with 4 sc, 20 sc, attach leg with 4 sc, sc||30|
|19||(4 sc, sc inc) x 6||36|
|27||(4 sc, sc dec) x 6||30|
|28||2 sc, attach leg with 4 sc, 20 sc, attach leg with 4 sc||30|
|30||(3 sc, sc dec) x 6||24|
|31||(2 sc, sc dec) x 6||18|
|32||(sc, sc dec) x 6||12|
|Stuff polar bear|
|33||(sc dec) x 6||6|
|34||Fold edges in half and make a popcorn stitch through the middle stitch on both sides to make a tail, sl st and cast off||6|
|Sew tail shut and sew to polar bears bottom, sew in ends|
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.