This pattern is for age 2-3 but see the notes section for ways to adjust the pattern to fit other sizes. This pattern is written for a top and skirt and there is a note to combine them into a dress.
1. Materials and Resources
- Aran/Worsted Wool – 85g for the skirt and 120g for the top
- 5 mm hook
- Needle to sew in ends
- small button in matching colour to wool
- Stitch List
- sc – single crochet
- Sl st- slip stitch
- ch – chain
- hdc – half double crochet
- DC – double crochet
- sk- skip
- b/l – back loops
- V stitch – hdc ch1 hdc in same st
- Shell Stitch – *5dc in same st, sk, sc, sk* rep to end
Gauge – 13 hdc stitches and 10 rows of hdc in 10cm square
- Always remember to use the hidden stitch in the after putting a V stitch in ch1 gaps (this is the stitch from the final hdc of the V stitch) – your stitch count will be out if it is not used.
- To adjust the top size – increase or decrease the starting ch in multiples of 4 (each 4 will product 1 more shell) for every shell (4st) you increase or decrease by either increase or decrease a hdc row before row 12. You can then adjust the amount of shell rows by increasing or decreasing rows 14 and 15 to find the desired length.
- You can add more hdc rounds to the sleeves to make them longer if required.
- To adjust the skirt size – increase or decrease starting ch in multiples of 4 (each 4 will produce 1 more shell) and increase or decrease rows 8 and 9 for as long as you would like the skirt.
- Add 1 shell for each size you wish to go up and decrease 1 shell for each size you wish to go down (using the notes above)
- Top and skirt can be worn together to or separately depending on the look you would like to have, if you want to combine them to make a dress then see the note at the end of the pattern.
Shell Crochet Dress Pattern
If you want to make this into a dress first make the top, then at the end of row 31 add this row before starting the skirt;
- ch1, sc in ch1 st, *sk 1, hdc, hdc in sc, hdc, sk1, sc in middle DC of shell* rep to end and sl st in starting sc, ch1 turn (64)
- then start at row 2 of the skirt working in b/l
- you will not need to add the waist band tie for the dress unless you want it as decoration.
|1||Working all rows in B/l from this point hdc in 2nd ch from hk, 4 hdc, V st, 11 hdc, V st, 11 hdc, V st, 11 hdc, V st, 6hdc, ch1 turn||44 &, 4 V|
|2||6 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 13 hdc, V st in ch 1 sp, 13 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 13 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 7hdc, ch 1 turn||52 & 4 V|
|3||7hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 15 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 15 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 15hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 9hdc, ch1 turn (60 hdc, 4 V st)||60 & 4 V|
|4||9 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 17 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 17 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 17 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 8hdc, sl st in starting hdc to create a ring, ch1 turn||68 & 4 V|
|5||8 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 19 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 19 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 19 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 11hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||76 & 4 V|
|6||11 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 21 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 21 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 21 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 10 hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||84 & 4 V|
|7||10 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 23 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 23 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 23 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 13 hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||92 & 4 V|
|8||13 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 25 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 25 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 25 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 12 hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||100 & 4 V|
|9||12 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 27 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 27 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 27 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 15 hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||108 & 4 V|
|10||15 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 29 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 29 hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 29hdc, V st in ch1 sp, 14 hdc, sl st, ch1 turn||116 & 4 V|
|11||14 hdc, fold work so that the next 2 ch 1 gaps are on top of each other to create a sleeve, then hdc through both Ch1 gaps, 31 hdc across the back, hdc through next 2 ch1 gaps to create second sleeve (same as 1st sleeve), then 17 hdc, ch1 turn||64|
|12||hdc across, ch1 turn||64|
|13||still working in b/l sc in same st as ch1, *sk1, 5 DC in next st, sk1, sc in next st* rep to end and sl st in starting sc, ch3 (do not turn and do not work in b/l from this point forward)||16 shells|
|14-31||repeat rows 14 to 15||16 shells|
|cast off and sew in ends|
|1||start in left hand corner of the neckline and sc 48 around the neck edge, then when you reach right hand corner of neckline ch3 and sc in same st as final sc (this creates buttonhole loop)|
|2||working along the opening created in rows 1-5, 6sc down each side of the opening and sl st to starting sc of neck line then cast off and sew in ends|
|sew small button on opposite side to button loop.|
Sleeves x 2
|1||attach wool in centre of underarm and ch1, then work 32 hdc in b/l around the sleeve edge, sl st into starting hdc and ch1 and turn (32)||32|
|2||hdc around in b/l, sl st, ch1 turn||32|
|3||sc in starting ch1 st, *sk1, 5 DC in next st, sk1, sc in next st* rep to end, sl st in starting sc and cast off and sew in ends.||8 shells|
Shell Crochet Skirt Pattern
|ch 64, sl st to form a ring, ch1||64|
|1-5||hdc across in b/l, ch 1, turn||64|
|6||hdc across in b/l, ch 1, do not turn for this round or any rounds after||64|
|7||sc in same space as ch1, *sk 1, 5DC in next sc, sk1, sc* rep to end and sl st in 1st sc, ch3||16 shells|
|8||2dc in same st as ch3, sc in centre dc of shell, *5dc in sc, sc in centre dc of shell* rep to last sc and then add 2 dc in same space as starting ch3 and sl st into top of ch3 to complete shell, ch 1||16 shells|
|9-24||repeat rows 8 and 9||16 shells|
|cast off and sew in ends|
Waist band Tie – To allow the skirt to be adjustable you can make the following waits band
|1||ch 101 and sc in 2nd ch from hook and every ch to end||100|
|cast off and sew in and out of the 2nd row of hdc starting in the front centre and ending there. Tie knots in each end to prevent it from coming undone.|
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.