Mix and Match Crochet Hair Bows
This week is the start of my Hair Bow series on Cosy Crochet. I have a total of 4 different hair bows to share with you, as well as 6 different motif’s that can be added to the bows for decoration. I’ll also be sharing my Honeycomb Bow Pouch which is excellent for storing the bows in once you have made them. The bows will be split across 4 weeks and are great for using up odds and ends in your yarn stash. They are quick to work up and it won’t take you much more than an hour to make a pair of bows and they look lovely in any little (or big?) girls hair.
For my bows I used mostly 4ply and DK weight yarn, but if you use bigger yarn it would just make the bows a little larger. I also stuck to cotton, or cotton mix yarn as they create a better finish, and are much less likely to get stuck on any velcro which might be on clothes or bags. To finish, they are all glued to crocodile clips using a glue gun, although it only takes a few minutes for this glue to set, I left them overnight before using them to make sure they were fully stuck to the clips, and I have not had any issues with the bows coming off their clips doing it this way.
For the patterns this week, I want to share two of the different bow types that I have designed, a bow with rounded ends and a bow with springy ends. Both bows have a different look and can be made plain, with or without a motif or in sparkly yarn, or any coloured yarn you might have at home. They will work great in pairs or on their own. You will need less than 10g of yarn per bow so go find what you have left over in your stash and get making those bows. You can find the patterns for the first two bows below. If you can’t wait to get all the patterns then you can purchase them altogether in a printable ad free pdf in my Etsy shop here.
Join me next week for two more bow patterns in my Hair Bow series, see you then,
Mix and Match Hair Bows
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make this —
- DMC Petra size 3 cotton – small amounts in any colours (i used, yellow, white, pink, grey, blue, red and green)
- Aldi DK sparkly yarn
- 2.5mm hook or 5mm hook
- Small crocodile clips & hot glue
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this pattern. All terms used are American.
- Sc – single crochet
- Ch – chain
- Sc inc – sc increase
- Sc dec – sc decrease
- Hdc – half double crochet
- m/c – magic circle
- sl st – slip stitch
- f/l – front loops
- b/l – back loops
- Bobble – 5dc in same stitch, pull up a loop on last stitch and take out hook, insert hook through 1st stitch, then pull loop through the stitch to complete bobble
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- There is no specific gauge for these bows, just work as you like. They may come out a slightly different size to mine but this doesn’t really matter.
- Once the bows are made then they are glued to the crocodile clips using hot glue in a glue gun. Once cooled they are ready for use.
- I made the bows in pairs, but you could also just make them for individual use too.
- Commas are use to divide stitches, if you see instructions that do not have a comma in between then they should be placed in the same stitch.
- The mix and match bows can be made by making any of the 4 bow options below and then adding any of the motif patterns (or none) to the bows.
- The bows use up odd amounts of yarn and can be done in most light weight yarns.
- Patterns – Bows
Bow A – Rounded Bow with ends – work in any colour you choose
|2||Hdc in 2nd ch from hook, 48 hdc, 5 hdc in last ch, then work up the back of the ch, 48 hdc, 4 hdc in starting ch (where you put 1st hdc), st st to join, ch 1||106|
|3||2 hdc in sl st, then 49 hdc, 2 hdc in each of the next 4 stitches, 49 hdc, 2 hdc in each of the next 3 stitches, sl st to join and cast off||114|
|Fold into a bow shape with rounded ends as the bow ends and then using a long piece of cotton, wrap around the middle tightly to secure bow.|
|Sew in ends|
Bow B – Bow with springy ends– work in any colour you choose
|1||Ch 41, sk ch and hdc to end, turn||40|
|5||Sl st small sides together do not cast off|
|6||(Ch 16, sl ch and 2 hdc in each ch to end, sl st to next stitch) and rep ( to ) then cast off|
|using a long piece of cotton, wrap around the middle tightly to secure bow.|
|Sew in ends|
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.