Last summer I was looking for a new project and after a bit of searching patterns and videos I decided to make some crochet jewellery. I came across a video tutorial for 3D Romanian Point Lace Cord which made really pretty bracelets. I didn’t have any crochet thread at this point so I went over to Hobbycraft to find some and came back with several different colours. I watched the video again and began to experiment. It took a couple of tries to get started since the beginning was a bit tricky, but I soon got the hang of making the cord. I tried doing several different knots and loops to keep the bracelet attached but I didn’t quite like anything I came up with, so after another trip to Hobbycraft I came back with T bar fittings and they worked great. I found they needed to be threaded onto the wool prior to starting to make the cord, since that made them more sturdy than just sewing them on. I have a Pandora charm bracelet and way more beads than I can ever wear on it at a time, when made with a 2ply thread and a 2.5mm or smaller hook the Pandora charms fitted great on the bracelets. After making several bracelets with charms I then extended to make a couple of necklaces using the same technique, one with charm beads and another with an old celtic neckace pendant (the cord for which had broken long ago!).
I then decided to expand my jewellery making into earrings. Initially I wasn’t quite sure how to go about this, but after browsing many different patterns on Ravelry and watching a few YouTube videos I started to experiment. As with the bracelets, its easier to thread the earring hooks onto the thread prior to making them, and then just bringing them up at the point you want to attach rather than sewing them on. I have made a few pairs of earrings now and they seem to hold up quite well, although, I wouldn’t recommend wearing them around young children – a couple have come off of the hooks when they have been tugged on. The actual crochet part though has been fine and luckily I have some jewellery pliers to be able to fix them!
I actually have been quite busy since I first started to make crochet jewellery, so I haven’t really made much since last summer until this week. After finishing my 60’s project I talked about a couple of weeks ago (it is currently being blocked and I will share more about this next week) I decided to use the small amount of wool I had left over to make some jewellery to match. I made a cord bracelet using the Romanian technique I talked about above, although this time, without any beads. I then made a pair of earrings picking out one of the motifs in the project. I liked how they looked and so decided to string several of the motifs together to make a choker. I finished this off with a string of single crochet to make a cord either end to tie the choker on. Both the earrings and choker were a bit curled after making them so I blocked them overnight and I am very pleased with the result. I think they will look great as a set with the bracelet and 60s top (it turned from a dress into a top as I was making it).
I hope you enjoyed this week’s post on crochet jewellery. See you next week.