Crochet Bunny Jumper Dress
This week I want to share with you my Easter project for the year. In previous years I have always made toys and Easter baskets, but this year I wanted to do something slightly different, but still with the bunny theme. After some experimentation I came up with the crochet Bunny Jumper Dress.
This jumper dress is made using aran/ worsted weight yarn in grey with details in white and black. I was pleased that I managed to create the dress using less than 1 400g ball of yarn I had in my stash, plus I also had the odds in white and black to finish this project. I do love it when I can create a whole project from yarn in my stash, since that is now a little less yarn I have to use up.
The jumper itself is pretty simple to create. The front a back are created in rectangles which are sewn together, before adding the sleeves and edging. The details in the jumper dress are what bring this to life. The ears, eyes, nose and mouth are used to create a little face for the bunny, whilst the paws at the bottom also double up as pockets for storing anything your little bunny might need or want this Easter. They would be a great advantage in any Easter egg hunt! The back of the jumper dress also has a bunny tail for that added level of detail.
I created this dress for Lily so its approximately made for a 4-5 year old child, but the pattern could easily be adapted to suite a different size. To adapt this you will need to know the chest measurement of the child you want to make it for. Once you know this add about 4 cm to this measurement and then add or subtract stitches to the starting chain for the front and back pieces as required. It maybe helpful to make your gauge swatch first to check your measurements. More or less rows can also be added to adjust the length of the dress and sleeves. The details of the dress should stay the same but they may need arranging differently.
As time permits, I may add additional sizes to this pattern, but for now please enjoy this size for Free below. Join me next week for a new Adventure Bag pattern.
Crochet Bunny Jumper Dress (age 4-5)
Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make this jumper
- Aran/ worsted weight yarn in the following colours;
- Grey – 350g
- Small amounts of white and black
- 5mm hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
- Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this pattern. All terms used are American.
- Sc – single crochet
- Ch – chain
- inc – single crochet increase
- dec – single crochet decrease
- dc inc – double crochet increase
- Hdc – half double crochet
- Dc – double crochet
- Trc – treble crochet
- Bphdc – back post half double crochet
- Fphdc – front post half double crochet
- m/c – magic circle
- sl st – slip stitch
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- The gauge for this jumper is 17 rows and 14 stitches in a 10cm sc square.
- The finished jumper measures 60cm long and 56cm round. The sleeves are 26cm long
- Try to arrange the paws, ears, eyes and nose and pin before you sew to stop them getting off centre as they are sewn on.
- The bunny paws act as pockets
- The main jumper is worked in rows, you will need to ch 1 and turn at the end of the rows.
- For the parts of the pattern worked in the round; sleeves and edging, you will work in continuous rounds without joining or
- chaining 1. A stitch marker may help you keep count of rows.
Front & Back – work both pieces in grey
|1||Ch 46, sk 1st ch from hook and sc to end of ch||45|
You now need to sew the front and back of the jumper as follows;
- Lay both pieces on top of each other, at the top of the jumper you will need to sew the shoulders together first. 12 stitches from either side will be sewn together and 21 stitches in the middle will remain open to allow the head through. (see short arrows on diagram below)
- Working from the top down, leave 23 rows on either side open for the arm holes and sew the remaining 77 rows together. (see long arrows on diagram below)
Sleeves – work two in grey directly off the jumper
|1||Attach yarn in the middle bottom of the arm hole and sc around for 45 stitches||45|
|3||Dec, 43 sc||44|
|6||42 sc, dec||43|
|9||Dec, 41 sc||42|
|12||40 sc, dec||41|
|15||39 sc, dec||40|
|18||Dec, 38 sc||39|
|21||37 sc, dec||38|
|24||Dec, 36 sc||37|
|27||35 sc, dec||36|
|31||Dec, 34 sc||35|
|41-45||(fphdc, bphdc) rep around||35|
|Cast off and sew in ends|
Neck and Bottom edging – work in grey for 2 rows each of repeating fphdc and bphdc.
Ears – work two in grey and 2 in white
|1||Ch 21, sk ch, inc, 18 sc, 5 sc in end ch, working up the other side of the ch, 18 sc, 3 sc in the starting inc stitch, sl st , ch 1||46|
|2||Inc, inc, 18 sc, inc, inc, inc, inc, inc, 18 sc, inc, inc, inc, sl st, ch 1||56|
|3||Inc, inc, 22 sc, inc, inc, inc, inc, inc, 22 sc, inc, inc, inc, sl st, ch 1||64|
|4||20 sc, 8 hdc, 10 dc inc, 8 hdc, 20 sc, sl st and cast off||76|
|5||Holding 1 grey and white together, with the white side facing you, sc the pieces together around the edge||76|
|Sew in all ends|
Pockets – work two in white
|1||Ch 19, sk ch and sc to end||18|
|18||17 sc, across the top of the work (along the sides of the rows and then continue to work in this direction for the remainder of the paws0||17|
|19||Dec, 13 sc, dec||15|
|20||Dec, 11 sc, dec||13|
|21||Dec, 9 sc, dec||11|
|22||Dec, 7 sc, dec||9|
|23||Dec, hdc, 3 dc, hdc , dec||7|
|Sl st and cast off|
|Sew bunny finger lines in black|
Nose – work 1 in black
|1||Ch 5, sk ch, 4 sc||4|
Eyes – work two in black
|1||6 sc in m/c||6|
|2||(sc inc) X 6||12|
|Sl st and cast off|
- Arrange eyes, nose, paws and ears on the front of the jumper and pin in place when you are happy.
- Sew the pieces in place using black yarn for the eyes and nose (also add a black mouth), white yarn for the pocket paws (remember not to sew up the top) and grey yarn for the ears.
- Make a large grey pom pom and sew to the back of the jumper to make the bunny tail.
- Sew in all ends.
© All patterns on this page belong to www.cosycrochet.co.uk You may not sell this pattern. Please feel free to sell the items you make using this pattern, however please acknowledge me in your listing.