Oliver’s Dinosaur Hat

It’s funny how some things you work hard on don’t do nearly as well as the spur of the moment projects.  Oliver’s Dinosaur hat is one of those spur of the moment projects.  I’d made the mother and daughter hats for Lily and myself and Oliver obviously didn’t want to feel left out, so he asked me to make him a dinosaur hat in blue and green.   Not having the necessary colours in the right weight in my wool stash, we went to the wool shop a couple of days later.   They actually didn’t have any green and we came out with 2 different blues in Hayfield Bonus Chunky Wool.

A couple of days later I set out to make his hat.  I initially experimented with working it in tapestry crochet,  but I just couldn’t get the dinosaur to look how I wanted it to.  Having a very impatient 4 year old waiting for is hat, meant I didn’t really have all the time in the world to experiment with either.   He seems to think Mummy should be able to produce his hat in a matter of seconds not days!

Blue Dino Hat
Blue Dino Hat

So as a result I worked up a quick and simple beanie style hat with a rib banding of front and back post stitches.  The actual hat, once I worked out the size needed really didn’t take more than an hour.   I then went on to work out a dinosaur motif to attach to the front in the contrast colour.   It took a couple of attempts to get the shape right before I was able to attach it to the hat but the time (even if it was too much according to Oliver) was obvious well spent as he loves his hat.

I scribbled down what I did as I made it, but didn’t really intend to release it as a pattern.  I often scribble down freehanded projects but then think they are not all the great and they are just left there.   However, after requests on social media for the pattern I spent a couple of hours at the weekend filming a tutorial for the hat.  I am so glad I did that.   The pattern for the hat I wrote down was fine, but I have no idea what I meant for the dinosaur at all.  No matter how many attempts, I couldn’t replicate what I wrote down, it made no sense to me at all.   Therefore I reworked and rewrote my dinosaur pattern and then made him a few times to make sure I fully understood what I meant!

Dino Motif
Dino Motif

This pattern hasn’t been tested, I hadn’t really intended to do anything with it, but I have made it a few times now so I’m pretty certain its all good.  However, if you want to try it and run into any problems, please get in touch and I’ll be happy to help.   I still need to edit the video tutorial I made at the weekend before its ready to be uploaded, but that should be done by next wednesday.  Until then if you want to create your own dino hat, you can find the pattern here.

A little warning about the yarn, the Hayfield seems to be thicker than other chunky yarns I have used and this is the yarn used to design the hat.  If you use a different chunky yarn be sure to work up a swatch and compare it to the gauge in the pattern.  In my video tutorial, I used Paintbox chunky and the hat worked up a size smaller.   This is ok for me as it fits Lily perfectly, but you may need to make some adjustments to your hooks size or work a slightly larger pattern.

Green dino hat
Green dino hat

Anyway, I hope that you have enjoyed this week’s blog post, and do let me see your finished Dinosaur hat if you make one.  Join me in 2 weeks for my next blog post releasing the first pattern in my new crochet series.

Vicky x

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *